Sunday, June 22, 2014

Backyard Birdwatching Journal: Entry #1

When my husband and I first saw our home while house shopping earlier this year, one of the things that really appealed to us was the big backyard opening onto a lovely wooded area. At that time of year, the trees were bare and there was still ice and snow on the ground from one of those freak snow storms that hit us this year. It was still absolutely gorgeous. As soon as we moved in in April, I made a habit of getting up on the weekends to sit on our back porch and watch the birds for long periods of time. It has been a fun challenge to try to identify all of our visitors. My "educated guesses" on these birds' names have a chance of being wrong, so if you think you might have a better guess, let me know!

Today wasn't a good day for backyard bird watching because of the soggy weather, but here are some other recent photos I've gotten of our resident wildlife. This series was from a couple weekends ago when I realized that our neighbors' tree is a fruiting mulberry tree. The birds seemed to be enjoying the fresh snacks that the ripening mulberries provided.


A Gray Catbird taking away a mulberry from our neighbors' tree

An Eastern Bluebird perching pretty for his photo.

I'm not sure if this is a Brewer's Blackbird or a Common Grackle or something completely different!

A silly Red-bellied Woodpecker hanging onto the side of our feeder.

A Northern Cardinal with a mulberry-stained beak.

And a couple of Carolina Chickadees sharing a mulberry.


You can see more of my backyard birding photos over on my Flickr here!

No comments:

Post a Comment