Thursday, June 26, 2014

Craft Swapping

One of my favorite parts about being a part of a crafting community is craft swaps. Getting to put together boxes of handmade goodness to ship off for someone else to enjoy is so much fun. In return receiving my own package of handmade items just sweetens the deal so much more. There are many crafting communities that organize craft swaps. My preferred community is Craftster. I've been a member since November of 2008. Before that I just read members' posts and secretly admired the craft projects that they shared.

In October of 2011, I signed up for my first craft swap. It was something that I wanted to do for ages, but was always too afraid of. The particular swap I joined was the "Jar of Whimsey" swap. If you have never heard of a Jar of Whimsey, it is typically a mason jar or other container filled to the brim with trinkets, small supplies, and other fun items. It was a very easy introduction to craft swaps since the crafting requirements were pretty low.

Here are a couple of the Jars of Whimsey I received in my first craft swap!
And here are a couple that I sent in the second Jar of Whimsey swap I joined.

  I have been in a total of 23 organized craft swaps on Craftster so far, and I don't foresee myself backing down anytime soon. On occasion I also do private swaps with friends for some extra special crafty goodness.

There have been way too many amazing craft swaps to choose a favorite, but here are some crafts that I sent to other crafters, and the treasures that people have made in return:

I sent this little guy who resides in his very own solar-powered garden lantern for a shrine swap.

And received this amazing hand-built nature-inspired shrine


This was one of my favorite crafts I've sent, which was for a decorative pillow swap - a needle felted fox on upcycled sweaters.

And I received this lovely deer head applique pillow that still sits on my couch with four other handmade pillows.




Another hard one to give up - I sent this wood-burned Doctor Who spoon for a Make-a-Friend swap along with other items.

And I received this very truthful hoopla (decorative embroidered hoop).

Next week I'll be receiving yet another amazing package of handmade gifts - this time with a whimsical woodland theme. I can't wait to share what I receive and to see how my craft swap partner likes what I've sent!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment